It is the design of a product in a way that it can be used by all irrespective of their disabilities. It is a design that can be used to the maximum extent possible, without the need for adaptation or specialized design.
Say you are going from one room to another. One of your hands is filled with books. And you are carrying your laptop in the other hand. Unfortunately, you see that the door of the other room is closed.
And to make things worse that door has a doorknob. Wouldn’t you wish the door had a handle instead of a knob? As you can turn the handle with your elbow.
Likewise, you have to design your website in a way that any kind of user can use your website easily. Such a design of a website is termed Universal design.
Universal design does not just help improving accessibility it also boosts the usability of your website.
Principles of Universal Design:
- Equitable Use: The design is useful and marketable to people with diverse abilities.
- Flexibility in Use: The design includes many of individual preferences and abilities.
- Simple and Intuitive Use: It is a simple design that is easy to understand by any users.
- Perceptible Information: The design conveys information effectively to the user.
- Tolerance for Error: The design reduces hazards and the negative results of accidental or unintended actions.
- Low Physical Effort: The design can be used efficiently and comfortably and with minimum efforts.
- Size and Space for Approach and Use: Correct size and space is provided for approach, reach, and use regardless of user's body size, posture, or mobility
Make your website a better place for everyone
Accessibility Enabler helps thousands of people to over come their disability every month. Make your contribution to the society.Try For Free
- Free 3-day trial
- No credit card required
- Easy setup